Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Closure




With The Beatles: Rock Band set for release tomorrow, 9-9-09, there has been a flurry o' Beatles programs on the telly geared to fluff 'n fleece the wallets of eager rock star wannabes. And the husband has had me watching, or listening, to them all week. Usually he only gets this jacked up over golf tournaments, the poker tours, and when the Milwaukee Brewers turn a triple play like they did on Sunday. But, suddenly, he grabs his magic wand, no, not that one, silly. I'm talking about the remote control device and, "plink," he slams us 40 years back in time. He turns to me and smiles as if to say, see, we don't need a stinkin' DeLorean...like he'd turn one down if it came his way...anyway~


We've watched: The Beatles: A Video Collection, The Beatles Anthology, The Beatles Retrospective and more. I have to admit, that while hiding behind my yes-that's-nice-dear-condescending-smile, I have enjoyed reliving history. I find it particularly intriguing how each of the Beatles remember specific events differently. For instance, when they met the Queen Mother. One said they were so nervous that they went to the bathroom and smoked a cigarette to calm down. In a separate interview with another Beatle, the cig became a joint. And Ringo, he said he was so stoned he couldn't remember what they did. Now that I think about it, that was pretty much his response to many questions. Hmm...anyway~


I was happy to learn that, after 40 years of wondering what the snark the song, I am the Walrus, is about, I had an answer. It is about absolutely nothing! The Beatles decided to write a song with completely nonsensical lyrics in response to hearing that school teachers were having students analyze their songs. Apparently, the song is a big, fat ANALYZE-THIS-you-over-thinkers! And, boy, am I relieved. I don't know about the rest of you but, although I heard many people say: it-means-this-or-that-or-the-other-thing, it made no sense to me...anyway~


(Big sigh of relief) Closure...at long last.

14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ha. curses! my entire thesis just went in the trash....lol. just kidding but thats pretty hilarious.

Mrsupole said...

Dang it, I always thought it was about a Walrus, this means I will now have to start going back to the psychologist because I am so upset. But all I need is love, and I wanna hold his hand in the strawberry fields forever, and imagine all the good things about their music.

I love most all their music and I do own one of the very few pictures taken of George Harrison at a Hari Krisna center. It is a treasure that we keep. But I do also love seeing interviews that they do now or have done in the last 20 years. Well when they were not so drugged out of their minds and they actually made some sense.

Thanks for sharing this.

Doing all these PT exercises has been keeping me in pain and so typing is on the wayside, except a few here and there. But they say I am on target for where I am supposed to be. Just wish I could sleep.

God bless.

Leah said...

I have loved the Beatles since I was five, and my friend and I would do interpretive dances along to "Abbey Road." I asked my dad way back when just what "I am the Walrus" was about--and he gave me the answer you give above. He said they were joking with their fans, and that it was sheer nonsense! He was right, and it is magnificent nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Ronda it is just balderdash! And why a DeLorean? nothing but mechanical problems( sorry got my inner mechanic in on that one-LOL! )

Ronda Laveen said...

Brian: That's one thesis I'd pull out of the trash to read!

Sherry: You are so funny! That's a picture I'd love to see. Maybe when you are feeling better you could scan it and use it as a post. I do wish you could sleep and hope you'll be strong and well soon.

Leah: Oh, how fun the interpretive dancing must have been. I used to love to do that to an old Vanill Fudge album. I was especially good when the song "Season of the Witch" played. "Walrus" is magnificent nonsense...Susical Beatles' style.

Subby: Well, other than that the DeLorean is a fantastic time machine, the husband attracts stray cars like I attract stray dogs. They just follow him home. And since the DeLorean was one of the last cars manufactured by an independent maker, it is iconic. But I do bow to your inner mechanic. That same thing does make it a mechanical nightmare.

Baino said...

See . .reading blogs is an education in itself. I just thought they'd written it under the influence of a naughty substance!

Ronda Laveen said...

Baino: I'm sure the "naughty substance" didn't hurt their ability to spew nonsense.

CiCi said...

For me, if I can't figure it out, it doesn't mean much anyway, lots of lyrics are just a bunch of words thrown together. I like your humor in describing this.

Mike said...

My friend used to ask me what I thought it was about and I told him, "It was probably about nothing, they were probably just stoned"! Hey, I was right!!!

Ronda Laveen said...

TechnoBabe: Thanks. Yeah it is hard to figure out what the writers of some songs are talking about.

Otin: Of course, you were right. You're always right, you're a wizard!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

They were just so darn cute! I have introduced my kids to A Hard Days Night and Help! They can't get enough. Great post... makes since that it doesn't make since....

Ronda Laveen said...

Harnett-Hargrove: They have been replaying a lot of bits on the making of those albums and movies. And they were so very, very cute.

Megan said...

My favorite thing so far has been re-watching the Making of Sgt. Pepper. Seeing George Martin tear up while talking about John, as his fingers move over the board...priceless.

Ronda Laveen said...

Oh, Megan. I saw that one too and I know what you mean. He was moving.