Monday, January 12, 2009



Today is bejeweled. The stuff about which The Mamas and the Papas lament in their song California Dreamin'. I am mesmerized every year, and I was born here, by the beauty of upper northern California, specifically Redding. After a long string of 30 to 40 degree days, complete with snow and ice, frost and fog, wind and rain, this treasure reveals itself. Today I wear those jewels of the sun. I wear them on my shoulders, bared by my tank top. My wrists, adorned with glowing, jeweled bracelets of light, flash as I tend the flowers of winter. The Calendula and daffodil, violets and Narcissus, in defiance, display their jelly bean colors. They sparkle around my ankles as I trim trees and rose bushes--seemingly more play than work. I wear them as a glittery tiara on my crown, drawing in the sun's rays. My sleepy dog naps in the diamond-dusted sunlight, warming himself on radiant bricks. This day brings joy. This day brings the wish, the kiss, the tease of spring's jewels, striking against the dark, still infancy of the newborn year.

Carpe Warm Diem!































5 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Sometimes I miss California so much. It is an incredible landscape, from Tahoe to SF, from oregon to Mexico.

Have you ever read John McPhee's book about the geology of California? I think it's called Assembling California, but I might not have the title exactly perfect. A fascinating book describing a beautiful place.

Thanks for reminding me.

Ronda Laveen said...

No, I haven't read it but will look for it. I feel so lucky. It is expected to stay in the 70's for the rest of the week. I saw the cold weather that is headed your way.

crone51 said...

All this is making be quite homesick for Northern California........ hug it for me.

Ronda Laveen said...

I will crone51 X2

Mrsupole said...

Just scrolling down and reading, this one was beautiful and loved the pictures. California is such a diverse state. Here in So. CA where I live we do not have the trees like you have in No. CA. I am always so amazed by all the trees when we have visited No. CA. But on a clear day I can see the trees far away on the mountains.

Plus thank you for the pictures from the Gold Puppy, she just seems to take such special pictures. They are always amazing.